The purpose of a Design Studio is to generate numerous ideas and create alignment within the team and with stakeholders.
|Number of people|
This is a team exercise. No limit but good to have groups of 4-7 people. Please invite stakeholders if possible
A4 papers, Post its & pens and wall or similar online
- Book a room and invite everyone
- Send out background information if possible like reports, customer descriptions, market analysis, goals, and strategies.
- Start by describing the background and context
- Write or tell everyone the “How might we”-questions. This will help you to frame your work and be the base of the ideation. For example, “How might we create a sustainable and circular interior design service for governments?”.
- Ask if there are any questions before everyone starts ideate
- Ask everyone to write at least X number of ideas and solution of the given opportunity. It can be 3 or 10, it’s up to you. They should be different from each other. This should take about 10-20 minutes. A good thing is to try to make people sketch and not only write on the post-it or papers (so not just text). You might use a digital whiteboard like Mural if you are doing it digital and remote.
- When done, ask the first person to describe their solutions, with no discussion. When done, give feedback. Use the formula, create, present and feedback.
- Take the next person and go around the table.
- If possible, do a few iterations and ask the team to build on or make mash-ups combining several ideas.
- Ask the team to group similar ideas